Friday, June 18, 2010

.Taxi driver gets £250,000 tip from regular customer

Taxi-driver-Don-PrattMost taxi drivers thank their lucky stars if their customers tell them to keep the change, let alone add a few pounds to the fare.

But Don Pratt was able to retire from taxi driving altogether after one of his regular customers left him slightly more than the average tip – £250,000 in her will.

Mr Pratt, 65, spent 20 years ferrying pensioner Mary Watson to and from her local shops in Newquay, Cornwall.

He picked her up from her house and took her wherever she needed to go – until her death, aged 86, early this year.

But Mary left her favourite taxi driver one final large tip – £250,000.

Mary left Don her whole estate which included a small house and savings – worth more than £250,000.

Father-of-four Don, a taxi driver for 30 years, retired yesterday thanks to Mary's last act of generosity.

He said: "She was always a good tipper in life and she's was an even better tipper when she went.

"I knew Mary for 20 years. She was a very nice lady and was always very generous.

"We would always have a good chat while I ferried her around. One day she said to me 'when I pass on I'll look after you'.

"I took it with a pinch of salt at the time – I had no idea she was going to leave me a fortune.

"When I was told she had left everything to me I just couldn't believe it. We were sad to hear she had passed but thankful she had left us this money.

"We are very grateful for her generosity. In nearly 30 years as a cabbie, this is certainly the biggest tip I've ever had." ...

via Taxi driver gets £250,000 tip from regular customer.

That's  $369,650 U.S. dollars.

No comments: