Thursday, March 25, 2010

A Xeno Song, Step by Step - (with audio examples)

As you can see, I'm taking a few days off from posting strange news to work on my music. - Xeno


There will be times on this journey, all you'll see is darkness,  but out there somewhere light finds you, if you keep believing /  Chrissie whiteClone photo by Chrissie white (web site)


Mr. Nemo Nobody: Xeno, you've been posting songs on your blog, I wonder if you could break down the process. How is it done?

Xeno: First, write a song. Once you have a song you can play from start to finish, get your home recording studio set up.

Mine is simple and compact: 1 PC computer (Intel Core i7, 2.8 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows Vista Home Premium), a MIDI keyboard (88 key Williams Encore), some guitars (Takamine 12-string, Baby Taylor), a bass (Olp), a decent condenser mic (AT 3035), monitor speakers (KRK), good headphones (Sony MDR-V6), and a small mixer (Behringer MX 802A), and Cubase 5 software.

I'll take you through it step by step so you can hear the progress.

The song is "I'm Growing Your Clone" a twisted number I wrote about identity theft. "Clone" won a song writing contest years ago and as a prize I got to record it at no cost in the Sacramento studio of Brian Wheat of the band Tesla. I learned some good things working with him.

Here is how I build a song:
Step 1 (Reference w/click) - Record a rough version of your song to a click track.

Performance doesn't matter, but get the timing and chords and basic vocals right.  This reference track gives you the outline of the song and it allows all the parts you add later to synch up. You have to learn to play to a click track, but don't be a slave to the click. In the example below I purposefully mess with the timing at the very start to create tension, then lock in for the rest of the song.  Some people like to speed up slightly on the chorus.

Step 2 (Rough Drums) - Drums and bass are the foundation.

I'm finding that I like the sound when the kick drum hits with the bass on notes that are basic to the rhythm. You can hear a good example of connecting the bass and drums in my song "Get off my head" (box left). If you lock the drums to the click track, for example by using MIDI drums, your original reference will sound wrong in places. This is to be expected since the drums are now correct and everything else will follow the drums.  In the next step, for example, the bass should lock to the drums, not to the original reference track.

Step 3 (Drums and Bass) - The bass is both rhythmic and melodic.

In addition to locking in with the drums, it should enhance the melody of the song as well as give a foundation. In this example I'm playing chord tones in part of the song but there is also a "walking bass line" which can have notes outside of the chords as long as it pulls forward to the next chord.

Step 4 (Rhythm Section) - Add guitars and keyboards. - Add any special instruments.

Play everything along with your reference track as you are writting, then drop the reference track and get the Drums, Bass and Piano/Guitar tight. This instrumental should be much tighter than your rough reference track.

Step 5 (Drum, Base, Piano & Rhythm Guitars)

At this point the foundation should be sounding fairly good and you may have the urge to play guitar solos over the whole thing.... As you add guitars, you'll hear bass and drum parts that need to be fixed. Fix these as you go so it gets a little better each mix.

Step 6 (Add Lead Vocals) - - Record the lead vocals

This is the time to play with different expressions and melodies.  I don't really like my voice but I do the best I can with it.

Step 7 (Add backing Vocals) - Record backing vocals

This is my favorite part.  I really enjoy arranging the vocal harmony for my stuff.  And I love my fake horns.

Step 8 ( Finally! )  I'm Growing Your Clone - ( Mix 1) - Give your ears a break for a few hours. Return to do the mixing.

Listen for anything that jumps out as being annoying and fix it. This means re-recording instrument parts or vocals, getting volume levels right, and so on. The first mix for me usually has level problems. It is good to listen at different volumes and with different speakers. If you listen very quietly, you can hear new things, like the lead vocal volume may be off in places.  In this first mix, I hear a lot I want to fix ... but I think it is time to give it and me a rest.

I'm calling it a day. Tomorrow I'll listen and may decide the thow away the whole thing.... or perhaps I'll like it.

Nemo: Why do this? Why spend an entire day working on one song.

Xeno: (laughing)   I enjoy the finished product. It seems worth it.

No comments: