Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Learning while you sleep may work after all

Cosmos magazine describes an interesting study that appears in Science, but John Rudoy, a neuroscientist at Northwestern University, in Chicago, USA.
... Half of the sound cues were then played to the participants once they had reached the 'deep sleep' stage of their nap, as determined by electroencephalographic (EEG) recordings.

When tested post-nap, it was found that participants were able to place the sound-cued objects more accurately than those not played during their nap. However, in the control experiment, in which participants were played the additional sounds without any sleep, there was no marked improvement. ... - cosmos

The article goes on to say that the practical application of this is yet to be determined. I wonder if I can use this to improve my pitch recall. If I study during the day, then play a tape loop all night that plays a note and then tells me what that note is, would I be able to wake up and have absolute pitch awareness?

Seems worth a try.

 



No comments: