Friday, November 27, 2009

Hear the songs written and recorded in one weekend for NPR

Update:  Nov 27:  Hear the songs that were submitted to NPR: Page 1, Page 2, Page 3, Page 4.

Here is the entire group on one page.

Wow, some great stuff! I'm definitely learning some new things about recording and mixing by listening to how others did what they did.

Previous Post:

This is my attempt at writing and recording a song in one day (Saturday Nov 14) start to finish for NPR: PLAY or DOWNLOAD: My Dog, Japan (mix 2).mp3. Here is the NPR request for songs written and recorded in one day using certain key words.
dogjapan.... I think we'd all be willing to admit that technology has made making music a whole lot easier, cheaper and more accessible. We can be more agile, impulsive, nimble, reactionary and spontaneous than ever before. Right? Well, that's the idea anyway.

So let's try!

Here at NPR Music, we could have given you a mere 24 hours to do this, but we'll be generous and allow you the entire weekend in which to record an original song.

Here are the rules:

Your song needs to include one of the following words:  dog, firecracker, lamp shade, Japan, NPR

Your song can be any genre or length.

Please include the name of the song and how you'd like to be credited. Send your songs to:

monitormix@npr.org

All songs are due by this Sunday, Nov. 15, at 8 p.m. ET. We'll feature the songs next week as part of our continuing Decade In Music coverage.

Thanks, and have fun!

via Record A Song This Weekend! - Monitor Mix Blog : NPR.

Okay, Done.   I'm looking forward to hearing the other songs!
Hear him once, you'll be a fan.
I've got a dog I call Japan
He howls in tune with Beethoven.
The dog's going to be a star



My cat named Italy is so cool.
Plays piano from the stool.
Paws of gold no feline fool, he's been on NPR


La la la

My bird named Russia? I can't say.
The window cracked, he flew away
The rat, however, plays the drums and I
Let him out when company comes


I am the manager, the financial backer
I light the proverbial firecracker
Underneath the band to get them going somewhere
If you don't believe my story's true
Some countries want to have a word with you
Japan knows he's going somewhere


He said, "Don't be afraid, put a smile not a lamp shade on."
Dream what you will, you deserve it
You deserve what you'd love to be.


I've got a dog I named Japan
He's the genius in the band
I don't know how he does it, man
He writes these songs that make me want to cry


And he tells me, "If someone's messing
with your dignity, you can talk to me.
You deserve to be, what you want to be.
So be.


My Dog, Japan. My Dog, Japan..."

2 comments:

Metamorphous said...

That was very good!

Xeno said...

Thanks, this home recording thing is endless fun. I'm getting better at figuring out how all the parts can fit.