Friday, March 27, 2009

Tinnitus cure 'is a step closer'

I've had this crazy ringing in my right ear for months now. Just last night it moved into both ears.
EarScientists believe they are a step closer to curing tinnitus after they have found what could be the root cause of ringing in the ears.

Studies show hearing loss can go hand-in-hand with over-excitable nerves within brain areas that process sound.

This uncontrolled nerve activity causes the noises that plague people with tinnitus and appears to be down to gene changes, Neuroscience reports.

And it raises the hope of treatment by silencing nerve activity, experts say. ... Belgian neurosurgeon Dirk De Ridder has tried implanting electrodes directly into the brain of sufferers to permanently normalise the overactive neurons.

He has had some successful results, although one of his patients repeatedly reported an out-of-body experience as a side effect.

In the latest study, researchers at the University of Western Australia studied what was happening inside the brain and found increased activity in nerves in the auditory brainstem where sounds are processed.

And this was linked to changes in the genes involved in regulating the activity of the nerve cells.

Spontaneous firing

This meant pathways that normally keep a lid on nerve signal transmission were blocked and others were more excitable than usual.

Lead researcher Professor Don Robertson said: "Identifying genes associated with spontaneous nerve cell activity is crucial.

"It means that it may be possible to use drugs to block this activity and treat conditions such as tinnitus in the future."

via BBC NEWS | Health | Tinnitus cure 'is a step closer'.

Could taking 3 grams per day of un-buffered vitamin C lower my stomach acid and result in a B12 deficiency?
Vitamin B12 deficiency has been linked to tinnitus in at least one study. 2 I personally had nutrition testing done just prior to developing tinnitus and was found to be low in vitamin B12. (Click here for a list of foods high in vitamin B12.) In order to absorb vitamin B12, people need to have enough stomach acid. In my case I think I was low in vitamin B12 because I was eating too many alkaline foods that lowered my stomach acid (Read my personal story on ringing in my ears here.) Despite having a diet high in B12 rich foods, I think I became deficient because I wasn't able to properly absorb what I was eating.

The berries and tomatoes every day might be getting me too.

It is established that drugs such as aspirin may cause tinnitus. However it is less well known that there are many common foods that contain salicylates, or aspirin like substances. As such, it may be prudent for chronic tinnitus sufferers to monitor what they eat to see if there are any correlations between their diets and their hearing problems. In Prescription for Herbal Healing 4, author Phyllis A. Balch recommends avoiding high salicylate foods including:




  • Almonds

  • Apples

  • Apricots

  • Berries

  • Cherries

  • Cucumbers

  • Grapes

  • Nectarines

  • Oranges

  • Peaches

  • Pickles

  • Plums

  • Prunes

  • Raisins

  • Tomatoes

  • Wine



Best to change our diets now and then. Variety is good. I'll mix it up and see if the ears improve, take extra B12 and magnesium today and see if the ringing goes away. I have some Valarian root extract around too. I'll try that to help me sleep tonight
The extract of valerian has been the treatment of choice for anxiety and insomnia throughout the world. It is a sedative and painkiller. Helpful in treating insomnia, Valerian is taken at bedtime to prevent panic attacks and is used as a replacement for tranquilizers.

... along with getting back to some real exercise. Beautiful day today here in sunny CA.

1 comment:

Heartburn, Acid Reflux, Drugs, and Low Iron said...

[...] Tinnitus cure ‘is a step closer’ « Xenophilia (True Strange Stuff) [...]