Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Back pain, Natural Muscle Relaxers

back-anatomy-lats-trapsNot posting much today due to an injury while helping a friend move appliances this last Sunday. Ouch. Feels like a rib is poking me in the kidney, but I think I just damaged a muscle.

I can't lay down or get up once I'm down ... or twist very much. But once I'm up, if I don't twist, I can move around.

The doctor says to expect 2 more weeks of pain while the muscle heals. What are the pros and cons of taking muscle relaxers?

Here are some natural things rumored to be muscle relaxants:  Chamomile, Valerian, Catnip oils, kava, corydalis and, at times, passion flower.

Caution: Take too much kava and you could end up needing a liver transplant. See:  Acute Hepatitis Induced by Kava Kava


I'm trying two bags of Tazo "Calm" caffeine free tea which has chamomile flowers as the number one ingredient. Making me very sleepy but muscle pain is still there.

- Found something called Pain-Eze which contains Magnesium 200mg, Manganse 2mg, California Poppy 266mg, and an Herbal Extract blend with Corydalis Yanusuo, Chinese Peony, and Meadosweet in some undisclosed ratios adding to 668mg. Taking two of these with 30 drops of Valerian Root and two teabags of Tazo "Calm" tea.

Result: Still feel it, but I can function. Still bad pains if I move in the wrong way, so I'm taking it slow.

You never know you need some body parts or what they do until you lose them.

2 comments:

back pain in West Palm Beach « Xenophilia (True Strange Stuff) | wellness-experience said...

[...] Originally posted here:  back pain in West Palm Beach « Xenophilia (True Strange Stuff) [...]

Pete the Drum Scientist said...

Get Well Soon!