Saturday, October 18, 2008

Acer Aspire 5610 Shutting Down for no Reason? How to fix it yourself


The real reason my laptop was shutting down was that it was overheating. The reason it was overheating was that over the last year or so a massive dust bunny had been growing inside it and was blocking the fan.  To remove the dust bunny, you only need a small philips screwdriver.  Take out the battery, then remove the largest plate on the back. Then unscrew the fan and lift it out (don't break the attached wire). You'll see the bunny. Get it. Put the whole thing back together. That's it.

Get the SG_AS5610/TM4200 service manual for the exact steps. Project took 10 minutes and saved me a repair fee and over a week of down time.

5 comments:

Alex said...

Hi,
Just want to thank you for sharing this info.. I just did what you have suggested and it has solved my problem...

Once again,
Thank you and keep up the good work,..
Alex

Courtney said...

Great! I had read in several places that you should open it up but I was nervous to do it. Most were suggestions from people who hadn't done that to their own machine. Thanks!

Bruno said...

Hi,

I try to repare the same model for a friend and i just start a (long) test after i removed a massive dust too. Thank's a lot

Bruno (sorry for my poor English)

Rajat said...

thanks a lot man! had a huge dust bunny blocking the air vent to the fan.. laptop seems to be fine now.

Cheers!
Rajat

stewart said...

thanks alot i done what you said and works fine now! i even tried updating my bios which didnt work so thanks